Pages

Monday, February 24, 2014

Continuing the Journey

Hello Lifers!

I hope you had an AMAZING weekend! Here...we FINALLY had decent weather-YAY!

Along with the projects I teased you with on Friday, I have also been plugging away a little at a time on an art journal page that seemed to be taking longer than I planned (I think that is the story of my creative life. lol)

There is a  quote that I have seen everywhere:"Not all who wander are lost." 

After a little research (and the help of an insta-friend) I found out that the quote is a line from a poem by J. R. R. Tolkien "All That is gold does Not Glitter" from Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings

Here is the complete poem:

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

If you've read the books or seen the movies, you know this poem alludes to a HUGE part of the plot later in the trilogy.

For me...the quote had a different thought. I had been worrying that as I was stretching my creative wings, that maybe I was a little creatively lost. I hadn't found my "style" or my creative home yet. BUT...after reading that quote I had this thought: ART is a journey. How often do I say here that being creative is a lifestyle..not a destination? If I am constantly seeing my life as a creative JOURNEY...then I can never really be lost and wandering. I'm simply continuing my journey...wherever that may lead.

Here's is the project I came up with: 


Here is a little step by step of how I got here:

First I started with a pencil sketch:


Then I went over my pencil sketch with a fine tip Sharpie marker (my favorite...easy to find, inexpensive and works great!)


Next, I decided I wanted to fill in my blank spaces, so I decided to add some tangles. I am not great at coming up with my own ideas, so you will see me Googling "Zentangle Patterns" anytime I am working on a project like this. There are great ideas and a lot of step by step instructions.


Lastly came watercolors! This is the first time I had done a full piece in watercolors, so there was a little bit of a learning curve. 



One of the best tips I can give (as a newbie) is this: If you want the graduated look like on the blue/purple/green/gold scales section, using a thin brush, outline the inner edge of the section with a saturated color.. Then use a larger damp brush to blur the lines and draw the color slightly inward.  This will keep your more saturated colors on the edges and a washed out tone in the middle. 



There you go lifers! 

I hope this piece inspires you to not only try new things, but to let go of any worries you might have about being a wanderer. If life is a journey...we are all wanderers so you are not alone on the road. 

Until next time friends remember...make your art intentional...not an afterthought. 

XOXO,
KERI







2 comments:

  1. This turned out fantastic. I love your color choices. Thanks for always inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And thank you for all of your encouragement...sometimes everyone needs to hear that they are doing a good job. :)

      Delete