Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

NEW Project and NEW List (#4)

In recent years I have had the amazing opportunity to work with an organization in Northwest AR named Saving Grace. The founder, Becky Shaffer, has embraced the motto "Repairing the Breach, Restoring the Streets" by offering transitional housing and life skills education for girls ages 17-25 who have aged out of a foster care/group home situation or have been "orphaned" due to a critical home situation that has left them homeless. 

As a former foster kid, Becky has taken what could have been a negative in her life and instead used it to do wonderful and life-changing things in the lives of countless of girls in the 4 years since Saving Grace was founded. She has got to be the most optimistic and cheerful person I have every met in my life and I absolutely love her to death.

When Becky approached me a couple months ago about helping with a project for their upcoming mentor's retreat, I of course JUMPED at the chance to do something I had never done before: paper crowns! It was something I had only seen done a couple of times during all my creative wonderings online, so I really had to almost start from scratch.

First....I did a little research and found a template for a traditional, vintage style crown and came up with this guy:

My favorite scripture is Ephesians 5:19 "Speak to one another in songs, hymns and spiritual songs; sing and make music in your heart unto the Lord." I tried to fit the whole verse, but I had to settle for just the second half because of the size of the crown. 
Next, I wanted to do something total "princess" and you can't go wrong with chevron.
Chevron Duck Cloth (modge podge to add some stiffness) on Canvas Corp Craft paper, with hand rolled flowers from Canvas Corp handmade paper. The words are the first 5 words in the Bible and are my constant humbling reminder that I can create...only because He first created.
Lastly, I couldn't do this project without making a MEGA-MS-UNIVERSE style crown!
This crown was made by cutting a piece of Canvas Corp Thickstock (12x12) on the diagonal and rounding the top slightly. I then modged podged some vintage dress patterns that I then lightly gessoed and inked it once it was dry. One large BIG cluster of flowers and silver butterflies add the big, over-the-top fun feel, while the simple LOVE chipboard letters (colored with Tattered Angels glaze in Oil Slick) and a quilted background with rhinestones finish it off.
And of course..you can't have crowns readily available and not have some one model them!

This is Kaitlyn, Becky's youngest daughter, who looks adorable rockin' these paper crowns. :)



I can't wait to the the amazing projects the SG mentor's come up with based on my designs!!

List Yourself #4-Music of the Heart

Many of you might not know that MUSIC is actually my FIRST love...way before I had ever heard of scrapbooking or any kind of papercrafting, I was (and still am) a singer. I started singing as a kid and eventually went to college for vocal performance and music ministry.

So....Let's List all the Songs you know by Heart...you know...those songs that when they come on the radio, you get to the end of the song before you realize you have sung the whole thing basically on auto-pilot.

Here's my top 10 list:

How Great Thou Art
Orphans of God by Avalon
Broken Road by Rascal Flatts
Just about anything by P!nk, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood
Anything by The Fresh Beat Band (the joys of having kids)
The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars
Shout to the Lord by Hillsong
Music of the Night from Phantom of the Opera
At the Foot of the Cross by Kim Walker
Vintage New Kids on the Block

Can you tell I have the most random assortment of taste in music? LOL.

What about you? What do you rock out to in the shower or driving down the road?

Share it in the comments...I'm always up for new music!

Until next time friends....




No comments:

Post a Comment