How are things going? Are you doing OK?
Recently, I had the the cool opportunity to mix two of my favorite things: my faith and my art.
I am doing a bible study called "Stuck" by Jennie Allen with a group of ladies at my church. We are in week 2 and in both the weeks we've done, there have been opportunities to "draw" something. However...both times...the space to draw is so itty-bitty...I could not even function. LOL
So I decided to make my own "art journal" specifically for these 8 week study.
Here is what I came up with:
Here's a quick step-by-step of what I did:
(1) I started with 3 plain manilla folders. I punched 5 holes in the spine with a paper piecer and then used a pamphlet stitch with nylon string to secure them together. The pamphlet stitch is super easy and useful.
(2) Add a layer of tulle and a few pieces of lace using matte gel medium.
(3) Add more embellishments and letters for your title.
(4) Cover everything with a layer of gesso. If needed to fully cover, add a second coat.
(5) Choose your favorite colors of spray ink.
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist: Monster Mash, Festive and Mallard
Heidi Swapp Color Shine: Chartruese and Primrose
Apply in light layers, one color at a time. I used all three of my Glimmer Mists, dried them and then added the darker tones on top of them to add depth.
I also splattered my Primrose Color Shine and my Mallard Glimmer Mist by unscrewing the lid and using the tube to flick the paint.
(6) For finishing touches I:
* added some Faber Castell Design Memory Craft Texture Accents in Pearl
* TCW "Hexagon" stencil with brown acrylic paint
*Outlined my 3-D elements with Black and White Faber Castell PITT Artist Pens
I hope you enjoyed today's project and I can't wait to share more as I fill it!
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist-Mallard, Monster Mash and Festive
Heidi Swapp Color Shine-Primrose & Chartreuse
Faber Castell PITT Artist Pens-Black & White
Brown Acrylic Paint-Plaid
Tulle, Nylon String & Lace-Hobby Lobby
Faber Castell Design Memory Craft Texture Accents-Pearl
The Crafter's Workshop-Hexagon Stencil
Embellishments-Prima Marketing, Jolee's, Studio Calico, 7 Gypsies